Thursday, May 26, 2011

OUI OUI I AM NOW FRENCH

So yesterday I figured I'd be all smart and make some fresh bread.  I searched high and low on the Internet for a bread recipe and I stumbled across a recipe for French Bread.  Now I'm in love with Garlic Toast, so I figured that this would be fantastic!  Hands down, this is the best recipe I've ever made, and the best part is... it's simple.

Dough after 15 min rise.  I added Italian Spices & Sea Salt, then kneaded until it was well blended.

Rolled out the dough so I could roll it into the baguette form

After Rising, with an egg wash freshly applied

Final product, with some mini sandwich sub buns.

I figured I'd share this recipe with you all, because I love getting new ones!  I mixed my dough up in my Kitchen Aid Mixer, you can also do it in your bread machine, or by hand.

1 Cup Warm Water
1 Tbsp. White Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Yeast (I used quick rise yeast, if you are mixing your dough in a bread machine use bread machine yeast)
2 1/2 Cups Bread Flour (I used all-purpose and it worked just fine)
1 tsp. Salt
1 Egg (optional)

Combine water, yeast and sugar, let proof.  Add flour gradually and knead 5-7 mins.  Remove dough hook from mixer.  Cover dough and let sit 15 mins.  Sprinkle Salt over top (and any other seasonings desired) and knead until salt is incorporated well.  Set aside and let double (approx 30 mins)

Punch down dough on a lightly floured surface.  Roll into a 16x12 inch rectangle.  Cut dough in half creating two 8x12 inch rectangles.  Roll up each half of dough tightly beginning along the 12 inch side, squishing out any air bubbles as you roll.  Roll gently back and forth to taper ends.  Place 3 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.  Make diagonal slashes every 2" or 1 long slash lengthwise along the top of the loaf.  Cover and let rise 30-40 mins in a warm place until double.

Preheat oven to 375 F.  Mix egg with a tiny bit of water, beat and then brush on top of the loaf (for a crispier loaf, use egg white only)  Bake for 20-30 mins or until your loaf is the desired color.  If a thermometer is inserted into the loaf it is done when the temperature reaches 190 F-200 F.

*Tips*
  • The salt is added after mixing so that it doesn't kill your yeast.  It will help your bread rise more.
  • Kneading for the 7 mins is important.  Kneading is what develops the gluten and introduces air to your bread.  That means a lighter fluffier end product.  Under kneading will give you a heavy dense bread (kind of like a brick)
  • Store in a paper bag to keep it crispy
  • When baking.  Add an oven safe pan with water to the bottom of the oven.  This will also help your loaf become crispier (I splash 1/4 cup of water (every 10 mins) in the bottom of the oven.  The steam does wonders for the outside
Last but not least!  Enjoy!  Get creative!  Let me know how it works for you

2 comments:

  1. this is sooooo AWESOME!!! I love your hair times a million too :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm! This looks delicious! I'll have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete