Monday, April 4, 2011

IT IS TIME TO QUIT QUITTING!

Have you ever wondered where motivation comes from?  Where do we get the strength to get through difficult tasks?  What keeps us from giving up?  Why do we seem to struggle so hard for some things, and yet give up so easily on others?

For those of you that know me, you know I am a goddess in the procrastination department.  And if you didn't know that, I'm obviously better at hiding it than I thought!  I can find a million different tasks to do, except the one I'm supposed to be doing.  I've started to notice a pattern (actually mom fantastic mother pointed it out, THANKS JONI!!)  I start things really strong, and then I just give up.  I guess all in all.  I'm a quitter.  But what makes me that way?  Why do I do it?  After some reflection and deep thought, I realized that I tend to sabotage myself before I have a chance to fail.  I mean, really... Isn't it better to be a quitter than a failure?  NEGATIVE!  Just because things are hard doesn't mean I'm not going to accomplish what I set out to do.  When things get tough, the tough get going... Anyways, I found a great quote awhile ago, and I think this applies to me!

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

How true is this?  I guess it is just the perspective you "choose" to have.  And really, is failing such a bad thing?  No.  Many successful people have failed and gone on to do great things. Now I'm not saying I'm going to fail at everything I try.  But if I quit, I have already failed.  I will never know what kind of a success I could have been.

My goal for the rest of this year is to finish the things I've started... like the scarf I've been knitting for two years.  To push myself in different directions, preferably tropical ones, and to see how far I can really go.  And the word "QUIT" will not be in vocabulary.  The only thing I am going to be QUITTING is my online shopping habit (or at least cutting down), because who are we kidding?!?!  I would NEVER quit that!

No comments:

Post a Comment